Flower Pot Pincushion
5 – 5” squares of assorted pink fabric for petals
6” square of yellow for center
2 – 4” squares of two different greens for leaves.
1 yard narrow cording
Bit of stuffing or walnut shells
4” square Steam a Seam
2” tall mini flower pot
Small square of florist foam to fit into pot
Scrap of cardboard
2” x 10” piece of white felt
10” piece of pink baby ric rac
This project was made using Bernina feet and stitches. If you have a different brand simply use a similar foot or stitch for your machine.
- Cut 5 – 5” squares of assorted pinks for flower petals
- Iron petals in half diagonally.
- Cut out petal shape by rounding top of folded triangle.
- Place 1 Yard of cording under #11.
- Leave a 4” tail of cording behind foot.
- Zig Zag over cording with ½” seam allowance around curved edge. DO NOT SEW THROUGH CORD!
- Stitch #2
- Chain stitch through all five petals.
- Pull cord as you sew to gather fabric.
- BE CAREFUL not to pull out of zig zag.
- Pull cord tight and gather.
- Clip threads wrapped around cord between petals. DON’T clip cord!
- Gather as tight as possible and tie cord in a knot.
- Use circle cutter to cut a 5 ½” circle from flower center fabric.
- Put pin in middle of template and a fine pen on the 5 ½” line and twirl.
- Cut out on line.
- Sew around circle with cord.
- Use same method as with flower petals.
- Pull up cord and fill with stuffing or walnut shells.
- Tie cord in a knot.
- Choose two green fabrics for leaves.
- Iron Steam a Seam to wrong side of one.
- Peel paper off and iron other fabric to other side.
- Cut out two leaves from green with pinking blade.
- Place ric rac in front groove of #66 foot.
- Sew with zig zag on white felt.
- Stitch #2
- Trim with pinking cutter ¼” on each side of ric rac.
- Squish foam into flower pot.
- Cut cardboard circle and glue on top of foam.
- Glue down leaves. Reverse one so it looks like two colors.
- Glue flower petals down.
- Make sure all raw edges are tucked under.
- Place a circle of glue all around top of pot so sticks in place evenly.
- Glue center down.
- Place a circle of glue around cord of petals, place on top of leaves.
- Make sure raw edges are hidden and hold in place until adhered.
- Glue band in place.
- Place close to petals to hide any raw edges or glue.